- Don’t plant trees close to the sewer lateral. Tree roots seek out water and will find even the tiniest crack in the sanitary sewer lateral. Once in, they grow quickly, resulting in sluggish pipes or worse, a blockage.
- Never put fat, oil or grease down your drain. These types of foods and food products build up in the sewer line and can cause blockages resulting in sewer overflows. Use MAWSS’ free cooking grease recycling program, It’s Easy to be Ungreasy, to dispose of unwanted fat, oil and grease.
- Keep stormwater out of the sanitary sewer line by replacing missing or broken cleanout caps. These caps cover your sewer lateral and flow directly into the sanitary sewer system. Check to be sure there are no other downspouts going into the sanitary sewer.
- Don’t use your toilet as a trash can. Human waste and toilet paper are the only things that should be flushed. Everything else should go in the trash can.
- Never put anything in a manhole. If you see anyone discharging materials into a manhole, call law enforcement.
If you observe or encounter a sewer related problem, call 易普MAWSS’ 24hour Customer Care Team at 251 694-3165. 易普